On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 07:52:11PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
I _know_ I am overlooking something, and I need a clue-bat.

On 17.11.19 22:03, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Thanks to the list for the help.  I tracked this down to a mistake in
main.cf with a too-restrictive smtpd_client_restrictions (I seem to
have commented out the line that had permit_sasl_authenticated, which
I think was a leftover elision from testing where I was trying to
force the condition).

main.cf options should be overridden in master.cf and thus too restrictive
smtpd_client_restrictions should not affect submission port.

Thanks for the clues.  Intermittent failures are hard to debug.

the question was if you are sure it was the submission port.  smtpd on
submission port should log as "postfix/submit/smtpd" due to proper options
in master.cf:

    -o syslog_name=postfix/submit
    -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject

you can also add

    -o smtpd_client_restrictions=

or move rejection from smtpd_client_restrictions to e.g. smtpd_recipient_restrictions to avoid the problem you've had.

This would also add possibility to whitelist certain recipients e.g. postmaster so they could receive mail from blacklisted sites

Enter any 12-digit prime number to continue.