@lbutlr wrote:
> Bind is running, and I can manually lookup the domains and dig -x
> the IPs, so I don’t think bind is the issue?

Although dig and drill are good for tracing DNS queries the better
tool for tracing system default lookups is 'getent'.  It will perform
a lookup using the same libc library as any program using
gethostent(3).

In this case try this.

    getent ahosts mx2.freebsd.org

I get this result:

    $ getent hosts mx2.freebsd.org
    2610:1c1:1:606c::19:2 mx2.freebsd.org

    $ getent ahosts mx2.freebsd.org
    96.47.72.81     STREAM mx2.freebsd.org
    96.47.72.81     DGRAM
    96.47.72.81     RAW
    2610:1c1:1:606c::19:2 STREAM
    2610:1c1:1:606c::19:2 DGRAM
    2610:1c1:1:606c::19:2 RAW

As others noted if postfix is running chroot'd then the
/etc/resolv.conf that it will use will be the file in the postfix
chroot.  On my system that would be this one.  Which on my system is
updated when the service script starts postfix.

    /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf

Bob