Hello,

I am managing a Postfix mail relay service in our internal network. The
relay itself is more permissive than the downstream SMTP server. So it
is possible, and indeed it regularly happens, that my relay accepts a
message which is subsequently bounced by the downstream server. There is
no way to inform the original sender what happened to the message after
the relay accepted it.

Is it possible to delay closing the SMTP connection from the original
sender until the response from the downstream server is received, and
then respond accordingly in the original connection?

I could imagine this would imply some complications in terms of
performance, and the question what happens if downstream is not
available. But in the way it would appear the advantage of telling the
original sender what happened to a message, outweighs the disadvantages.

Regards,

Lucas