The postgis.sql is a part of the restore process. Because you'll make hard upgrade of PostGIS, you have to use Perl script postgis_restore.pl. This script removes old PostGIS functions from your backup and installs the new ones in the new database. Then, you have to give the path of postgis.sql (or lwpostgis.sql) when you call postgis_restore.pl on command line.

I'm not really fan of the new procedure using "CREATE EXTENSION postgis". It's an automatic process enabled in PostgreSQL 9.1 and more. With this procedure, you have to use PostGIS who is embedded with PostgreSQL package. I encountered earlier some errors when I tried to install PostGIS using this procedure on a Windows box. But, using the old procedure I described above, I had the complete control of the installation and I always got a functionnal database, even with PostgreSQL 9.2.

Regard

Sylvain Racine