Hey, thanks for sharing your experience !

>  On 04/17/2014 08:11 PM, guido lemoine wrote:
>
> So what do you use instead? Your data set is not exactly common (400+ Gb,
> 24 band doubles (complex data?), overlapping tiles, which are half empty).
> Is this LiDAR data? What exactly are you trying to visualise?
>
> Yep , good guess.
Postgres + pointcloud seems to work good (I have a 5.4 billion points test
database, no problem) to handle lidar,
but visualisation within GIS software is an issue. Having a rasterized view
could be usefull for this.
How course importing millions of points in QGIS is not really an option (it
works up to a million if style is not too complex).

> We have little issue with postgis raster speed using multi-temporal,
> multi-frame, all bands Landsat-8, either in-db or out-db.
> Over 100 Gb by now. We prefer out-of-db, because it keeps the raster db of
> manageable size. We expect it to work up to Terrabyte limits (I am told I
> should use SciDB
>

> when doing that, give rasdaman a try and compare then. It's operational on
> n-D multi-TB objects :)
> -Peter

I know PostGIS raster is a powerful tool,
I just say that in-base multi-band raster creation is slow
,any raster processing is slow (need to rewrite entire raster)
,image processing options are limited (it could be so cool to plug a good
image processing lib like itk or otb)
,accessing in-base raster is still fragile
,Level of Detail strategy are not fully integrated.

 beyond that). This works with mounted network disk as well, which is even
> nicer.
>
> The whole postgres data folder can be put on network disk (with caveat),
which is very usefull !