Hi Ross,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 05:59:37PM +0000, McDonaldR wrote:
Maybe you can point me in the right direction. I'm running PostgreSQL 9.6.8 (64bit) on Windows 2008 R2 with PostGIS 2.3.5 installed. I have installed the 2.4.3 binaries and when I try to run ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "2.4.3"; I get the following error:

ERROR could not load library PostgreSQL/9.6/lib/postgis-2.4.dll The specified procedure could not be found.

This is just a random guess, but one problem I encountered on all my Postgres setups to upgrade from PostGIS 2.3 to 2.4 is the following: There was a single function definition which isn't updated by the PostGIS 2.4 SQL script to point the new binary:

 geog_brin_inclusion_add_value().

This prevented the update with a similar error message (I am on GNU/Linux though). To check if this is the problem, you can check if there are references to the old binary by using:

 SELECT * FROM pg_proc WHERE probin ~* 'postgis-2.3';

For me, this identified the afore mentioned function. To replace this reference to a version in the new binary I had to do the following:

 CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION geog_brin_inclusion_add_value(internal, internal,
internal, internal)
 RETURNS boolean
 AS '$libdir/postgis-2.4','geog_brin_inclusion_add_value'
 LANGUAGE 'c';

Just my 2 cents, your problem might be something completely different though.

Cheers,
Tom