Dear list members,

I have a table with 35 billion rows containing point geometries (SRID 31467)
and use it for intersections with multiple polygon datasets. To improve
performance I would like to use declarative partitioning to split the point
table into sensible table partitions. Because of the intended use with
ST_Intersects, I thought it would somehow be best to use geometric location as
the basis for partitioning. List and range partitioning are not really
applicable to the geom column, so that leaves hash partitioning. But I get the
feeling that hash partioning won't work for the geometry data type either.

All posts I found on the internet about partitioning PostGIS tables were mostly
outdated and used inheritance partioning with check constraints.

Has anyone used declarative partitioning on PostGIS geometry tables or can
otherwise tell me why this might be impossible without using an additional
column?

Help would be very much appreciated :-)

Thanks a lot and kind regards
Birgit