Hmm...

These layers have entries in geometry_columns ?
The SRIDs these layers reference in geometry_columns are in spatial_ref_sys? The SRIDs these layers have in geometry_columns match the SRIDs in the geometries themselves (select distinct st_srid(geom) from thetable)? The SRIDs these layers have accurately describe the projection system they are in? Can you back project into lat/lon correctly? (select st_transform(geom, 4326) from thetable)