samclemmens wrote:

Sorry; I inadvertently posted my previous response twice...   The line is:

psql:postgis/postgis.sql:80: ERROR:  type "spheroid" already exists

So, does this mean that my spatial database was successfully created the
first time around despite the "notices" that the spatial functions (e.g.,
st_max_distance) do not exist?

Older versions of 1.5 tried to remove some legacy functions from the database as part of the installation which is why some people would see error messages at the end of the installation.

Since all the SQL functions are now in a transaction, then if you can call any PostGIS function then the installation has completed correctly. Does "SELECT postgis_full_version()" work for you? If so, you should be fine.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk