Brent Fraser wrote:
Is your PLSS data lines (yikes!) or areas (hopefully)? And the shapefiles have the same attributes (or can be made that way prior to loading into PostGIS)? Are the mining claims represented by points or areas? If they are areas, I guess you could use the centroid in the query.
They are areas (polygons). The shapefiles are theoretically the same, but as with most large govt-built databases there are wee variations that'll whack you if you don't check. So I follow Reagan's advice, "Trust, but verify." and will fix the problems I've found already and make each state table identical in structure.

One suggestion I've received that sounds pretty good is to pre-index the centroids as well as the polygons. But it sounds like indexing is a very key part of the process. Disk space and RAM is (relatively) cheap these days while time seems to be getting more expensive.

--
Bill Thoen
GISnet -  www.gisnet.com