On 08/03/11 09:16, Magnus Hagander wrote:

Since nobody appears to be too interested in producing a quick fix in
geos, attached is a patch that puts in an *ugly* workaround in
PostGIS, that simply rejects the infinite values higher up in the
stack. I don't consider this a long-term fix, but it at least causes
an error instead of getting stuck in an infinite loop that can only be
terminated with kill -9... So pending a solution in geos, I would
suggest this workaround (or something better located written by
someone who actually know the postgis code better than me) be put in.
The way it is now, any application that allows the user to specify
input that could generate such a geometry could trivially
denial-of-service any postgis site...

Hi Magnus,

What was the discussion with the GEOS people like? Did they consider this to be a bug in GEOS or a bug in PostGIS?

The basic workaround looks good, but I'd still be interested on Frank's thoughts re: whether infinity is a valid projection output point in order to determine the best place for the check.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk