On 12/04/11 17:38, Paul & Caroline Lewis wrote:

Hi,
Thank you Mark and Richard for your replies. Having looked at this it
seems a Full Vacuum is the answer, however I'm not sure why. Processing
the SQL scripts as originall reported I do get a large table from
TestSet1 and a small table from TestSet2. Once a Full vacuum is
performed on the large table from TestSet1 its size drops to the same as
the small table from TestS2, however adding a full vacuum into the
TestSet1 procedure makes it slower to run than TestSet2, very much
slower especially on uploading the very large data sets (70 mill rows).
This begs the question is TestSet2 very efficient or is it missing
something fundamental that a Full Vacuum provides that I'm not realising
at the moment.

That's strange - do you see the same behaviour if you swap the order of the data load, i.e. do the ordered data set first, and/or use a different table name for each load? I'm just wondering if you're seeing some kind of database bloat if VACUUM fixes the issue.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk