Hi Farouk,

I always use a workaround in order to convert a shp file with special characters in its attribute table into UTF-8 encoding: I open the shp file's dbf in some calculation software (e.g. OpenOffice) and save it as an csv with encoding UTF-8. Then I open the csv and save it again as a dbf under a new name. Then, I exchange the old dbf by the new one (don't forget to change the name to, so it does match the shp file name) and the shp file gets imported into the postgis database without problems.

There are hopefully more elegant solutions, but for shp-import of only a few files, it's ok...

Regards,

Birgit.