On 8/30/2011 10:10 AM, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Charles Galpin wrote:

On Aug 29, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:

the data themselves are routine points, lines and polygons (MySQL allows defining
POINT, LINE, POLYGON, or the all-encompassing GEOMETRY). Other than that, there
are the usual MySQL->Pg mismatches such as `mediumint` and `enum`. I tried

`mysqldump --compatible=postgresql` but that doesn't go far enough. Hand
editing of the export file seems to be required.

How about generating insert statements compatible with postgresql, using wkt as
the common format that you can then run on postgresql?

Since this is a one-time job, I think I will open two db handles in Perl and
query one and insert in the other. That will work. Yet, surprising that either
a need for this is not as common as I thought it might be, or it is
sufficiently variable to preclude a readymade tool to do the job.

Thanks for the ideas,

Can you do this in ogr2ogr?