Bob,

the security is by default tight - but it sounds like you want host based
authentication (hba)

You will need to read this page a few times :

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

and then before you do anything else edit your postgresql.conf file (about 60
lines down) to look like :

listen_addresses = '*'          # what IP address(es) to listen on;
                                        # comma-separated list of addresses;
                                        # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
                                        # (change requires restart)

Note the * in between the quotes (you may well have localhost there now).

Then edit your pg_hba.conf file.

note that you need to restart the server when you change the listen addresses,
but you only need to reload it when you edit the pg_hba.conf file

Also note that this can be really painful for users with dynamic ip address
allocation.

good luck.

cheers

Ben