> Q1: What effect does different tile size have on storage and performance?

Biggest tiles = longer to load in memory and less efficient indexing

I suggest you experiment with much smaller tiles: 100x100 and 10x10

> Q2: We will need to be getting raster values from a large number of
> point tables over a large number of raster tables. Is there any method
> to speed up the queries?

If your rasters are all of the same size and cover the same footprint I would
suggest to make them different bands of the same raster. So for the same point
you will search for the right tile only once.

Pierre