LineMerge does a topological line merge, rather than one determinedby the order of the points. You can think of it as computing the geometry that would result from drawing all the geometries on paper, and then turning it back into a vector geometry. Order is not considered, and if there are *any* discontinuities in the input lines then a MULTILINESTRING is created.

This is quite useful in some cases, but obviously not in yours. In theory your use case is much simpler to compute. There may be a way of doing it by extracting the vertices of the input geometries in order, and then converting them to a single linestring. Some systems have a connect() aggregate function that does this, but I don't think PostGIS does at the moment.