I'm back at my keyboard now. And on the live site I reproduce the problem as
follows:

Go to edit mode. It has correctly remembered that when last editing I used Bing
undimmed.
Switch to Mapnik background layer. This shows as dimmed though the dim check
box still suggests it should be undimmed. Check the box and uncheck it to get
Mapnik not dim.
Switch back to Bing layer. Again check box remains as not checked, but
background defaults to dimmed. To get it not dim you have to check and clear
the checkbox.

Want me to add all that to the trac ticket?

Ed