On 3 March 2012 04:04, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to double check: they know it’s already there as an area, they
> just want to see an icon on top of it as well? What kinds of areas?
> Ones without (rendered) names?

No, often they don't realise. For example, when there's a supermarket
tagged as an area, they think the supermarket isn't mapped, and try
adding an icon for it. The turquoise building outline (or whatever)
doesn't lead them to think that it has been mapped.

>> People get mightily confused when the icons on the map don’t match the icons
>> on the sidebar. Maybe we need to rethink how the sidebar icons appear.
>
> Examples? It would be pretty easy to fix some of these.

Well, I think hairdressers was one. But the bigger point is that if
the map style has different icons (e.g. the opencyclemap style) then
switching map styles doesn't update the sidebar. The icons displayed
are more of a "map style" consideration than a "map features"
consideration, to a certain extent, so maybe the map style should
define the icon, and the sidebar pick them up from there. Dropping an
icon and having a different one appear isn't great.

On the other hand, I frequently get asked why the icons in potlatch2
don't match the icons on the main map layer precisely - which is
something that's unsolvable in many cases.

Cheers,
Andy