On 8/6/2011 2:06 PM, Mark wrote:
Hi All,

This looks like an interesting product - one I came across a long time
ago but have not had the need to use until perhaps now. With that i've
got 2 simple and short questions.

1. Can pound include backend servers where the backends are are called
by hostname DNS and then the TTL of the DNS is adhered to thus once
reached pound will resolve the DNS to the backend hostname again so that
when the IP changes for the backend pound will pick-up on this without
me needing to restart pound?

I think there was a patch floating around for this, but I don't believe it's been merged into the main distribution. I may never be - I'm not sure exactly where that discussion ended.

2. I see lots about http and https etc, but i'm looking at pound more
for TCP load balancing, I don't need any special gadgets and abilities
just a simple TCP balancing of SSL and http. IE i don't want pound to
terminate the SSL and look at the request, but I do want it to be able
to load balance SSL and http and pick-up on failure of backends if all
that is possible with pound?

Pound is probably not what you want, since pound's modus operandi is to parse incoming HTTP headers and do stuff based on that. You'll probably find HAProxy more to your liking if you want TCP load balancing with the option of getting into HTTP specific stuff. Or relayd, if you happen to be an Openbsd user.

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com/