Alex Peters wrote:
> Also, there's something I'd like to ask: PowerPro v4.1 has
> brought us both Standard Configuration (to which this script
> conforms) and a set of functions allowing the scripter to
> circumvent Standard Configuration's conventions and write a
> script that should work with any PowerPro v4.1 configuration.

> Should I take the time to write another copy that doesn't
> require Standard Configuration?

I must admit that I would not use floating tags as I would miss
so many of the features of minimising to an active bar.

Generally, I do feel it's kinder not to require users to change to the
Standard Configuration, just to be able to try a script you upload.

IF the "reason" for requiring the so called standard configuration
is to be considerate to people who might want to try shared scripts,
one can only gasp at the lack of logic.
Obviously it is kinder to upload scripts which don't depend
upon the user having a particular escape character set,
especially as its use is so easily avoided.

For example, the latest ColourSpy did not work here, because it uses
a particular escape character so much; it also uses the "expression
follows" character a great deal.
I wrote an alternative ColorPicker, thinking that would be less work
than rewriting all of my config and scripts to cope with \ acting
as an escape char. It was quicker to write a new one from scratch than
attempt to correct all that code in ColorSpy.
I found it was quite easy to write one that works just as well
without using any special characters at all.
I expected that it might require more lines of code than your
script used, to avoid all those &(...) and escapes, but actually
the opposite was true; it does everything that ColourSpy does,
in about a quarter the amount of code (29 lines of code vs 128
lines, and no need for so many comment lines to explain it).

Admittedly the simpler version lacks the time absorbing qualities
of the original:
It doesn't create, and then find complicated solutions for,
so many interesting coding problems, such as making and destroying
a command list with a randomised name every time it's used.
It also fails to give the cpu as much exercise.
The simpler script isn't such a fascinating read either,
lacking the convoluted sub plots of the original;
and it lacks the humor of the comments, such as "A script call
is used for each item, resulting in much more compact code."
in the middle of its 10 kb script LOL!;
but at least my humble 1 kb replacement works well, with exactly
the same features for the user, and I don't have to change all
the commands in my pcf and scripts to use it; it would work
without any changes in anyone's config.

> I believe that by default �Use Standard Configuration�
> should be ticked.
> I understand that there are many users here who feel more comfortable
> using their own set of escape and expression follows characters, etc.
> but I feel that it's a good idea to simply expect a new user venturing
> into scripts to learn it that way, and then change it if they feel
> they need to.

It's not just a question of "feeling more comfortable" it's a
matter of preferring not to waste so much time on unnecessary
complications. I am happy to take on the challenge of complicated
puzzles if there is a good reason to, and if the complications are
inherent in the task itself. However I resent having unnecessary
problems imposed. Life is too short and there are better things to
do with it than create and solve inelegant puzzles and bloated code.


It is NOT "a good idea to simply expect a new user venturing into
scripts to learn it that way". Actually it is a bad idea because
having to script in such an inefficient way makes PowerPro harder
to learn.
Just as it is recommended not to use &() as much as you do,
because it makes problems, and because it's silly to code in
a way that places expressions inside literal text,
similarly it's better to code in a way that doesn't need literal text
to be escaped so often; deciding to do that with a character which
is used so frequently inside quotes is just crazy.

BTW "feel more comfortable" and "feel the need to" sounds rather
patronising, as if those who decide not to use \ as an escape
char base that choice on feelings rather facts or thought.
In fact it is based on logic and observation of the considerable
amount of time which has been and continues to be wasted by that
unfortunate decision of the "standard configuration" using \ for escape.


Using the standard config of special characters is an option.
It is not compulsory and should not be expected.

As Alex wrote, there is:
> a set of functions allowing the scripter to circumvent
> Standard Configuration's conventions and write a script
> that should work with any PowerPro v4.1 configuration.

If you are able to, it really would be kinder to avoid using
any escape char in uploaded scripts.

IMHO :-)

Sorry about arguing so passionately but I believe in making
it easier for people to use PowerPro, so more people can enjoy
its benefits, rather than making it only accessible to those
with a taste for complexity and plenty of time to waste.




------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/JV_rlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Attention: PowerPro's Web site has moved: http://www.ppro.org 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to