-- I wrote:

> It sounds like your program is expecting double quotes around the 
> filename.

Oops, this has already been answered! Sorry about that.

-- Paul wrote:

> Actually, I'm glad I worked on this, because I figured out the whole
> ?*"* thing while coming up with my response (which is why I put the
> disclaimer on it.  I hadn't used it anywhere else yet, but I
> converted a couple of calls already, and it works just great and it's
> easier to read!).  You should have seen my draft - it looked a bit
> more complicated!

The string delimiter syntax is excellent. I love how easy it makes
expressing file paths -- it's as simple as

?"C:\Long Path\Etc.\Alex's Document.txt"

As a filename can never contain a double quote, this makes the double
quote the perfect 'wrapper'. You don't have to worry about backslashes
or single quotes accidentally escaping.

The string delimiter is also handy in a more general sense -- it can
make your scripts independent of a user's chosen escape character. I use
it profusely in the scripts that I upload and in post examples to ensure
that nothing is ever accidentally escaped. It's definitely something
worth having around!

-- 

Regards,
Alex Peters



Attention: PowerPro's Web site has moved: http://www.ppro.org 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to