--- In [email protected], Alan Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi Alan M
> 
> I guess that means they are not needed in PowerPro's own default.icl.
> Therefore, in the thread "Re: association for saved clip files",
> I suggested to Bruce to use a smaller default.icl which does not
> include the extra icons for dialog plugin.

Yup, seems unnecessary to have them both places when dialog.dll is
just as easy to get at.
 
> Do feel free to comment in that thread if I have misunderstood
> and you do want icons for dialog.dll to be in default.icl.
> In that case, Bruce could distribute my default45c.icl
> instead of the default45b.icl which I recommended to him.

Sounds good to me.
 
> I'm willing, if other icons will be useful.
> 
> I don't know what specific icons would actually be wanted by users,
> because I don't use those plugins myself.
> 
> So it's easier for me if I get _specific_ requests, with a brief
> description of where/how this particular icon will be used,
> and preferably also suggesting what symbol(s) or images would make
> a strong mental association with this particular feature or dialog
or plugin.
 
> Because icons are all about instant recognition, it's best to use
> the most commonly used symbols for the subject, instead of being
original.

Yup.
 
> So I guess pop3 and smtp should use an image of an envelope.
> Some users might want a different icon for each.
> Pop3.dll is about fetching and smtp.dll is about sending
> so I guess pop3 could have an envelope with arrow pointing left
> and smtp could have an envelope with arrow pointing right.
> Or maybe it's a down arrow for pop3 and an up arrow for smtp send.

Sounds fine.
 
> And what for crypto? A padlock maybe?

Jail?
 
> I'll upload some draft designs for a few of the dlls you mention...

I've downloaded, will look them over later this evening?
 
> but I never use sql or odbc and have no mental image for a database
symbol.
> The sqlite home page has an ugly icon which is just the characters
> SQL-ite crammed into a 16x16 square.
> Is there a most popular symbol for databases? Can you point me to
> a web page which shows one?

I think someone else chipped in on this one.
 
> _________________________________________________________________
> 
> 
> As a separate issue, you'd need to consider the best place to store
> such icons.
> 
> Icons are used in three kinds of places:
> 
> [A] on a bar button or menu item, created by the user.
> The user specifies the icon in pproconf's item editing dialog
> or with a cl.seticon() command.
> 
> [B] to represent a window (such as a dialog window) on the TaskBar,
> active bars, task lists, etc. This also appears in the window's own
> caption (aka title bar) if it has one.
> The dll which makes the dialog must be programmed to tell the OS
> which icon to use for this window.
> 
> [C] embedded in the body of the dialog window (not in its caption bar).
> This is usually larger than 16x16.
> 
> For example if you specify an icon for miscplugin.messagebox()
> it shows the 16x16 of that in the TaskBar and in the message box's
> caption -- and also displays the 32x32 in the message box's body.
> 
> On the other hand, with msgbox.dll plugin, if you specify an icon
> it is embedded in the dialog body but not used in the caption
> nor in the taskbar.
> 
> In case A, if any plugin's dll contains icon(s), users can set it
> for a bar button as "c:\pathto\plugin.dll",3.
> Or they can use any other icon, such as from an icl or ico file.
> 
> If you wish, the plugin writer can include optional user icons,
> as you have done in dialog.dll.
> Even if they are not used by the dll itself for uses B and C,
> they can be provided for use A.
> 
> 
> In cases B and C, it seems to me that it's best for the dll
> which actually creates the window to include at least a default
> icon in that .dll file itself.
> The dll should tell the OS to use its included default for any
> dialogs or other windows it creates, if the user does not specify one.
> That stops non-specific generic icons being used on the Taskbar etc.
> 
> 
> Anyway, I wrote all the above to set the ground for this question:
> 
> If I make an icon for each of "pop3, smtp, crypto" which you mentioned,
> should they go into pop3.dll, smtp.dll and crypto.dll respectively,
> or should they all go into dialog.dll ?

At the moment I'm only concerned with icons available for users to
make the dialog icon (usage B, when they create a dialog using dialog
plugin) or when they want an icon to show up as an image within the
dialog (usage C). 
 
> I guess they might be used for A (the user's own bar buttons)
> and their main purpose is for B (the Taskbar etc) if chosen
> by the user as allowed by dialog.dll.

Yeah, if icons are there users can make them the icons for bar buttons
if they want.

> I think the answer is: if a plugin such as pop3, smtp, crypto
> makes its own windows (not made by dialog.dll) then it needs to
> contain its own default icon for use B (the Taskbar etc).

None of my plugins make any windows except dialog.dll.  I think.
 
> On the other hand, if smtp.dll never makes its own windows,
> but you are thinking of situations where the user has asked
> dialog.dll to create a dialog window which happens to be
> about smtp, then the icon we provide for the user to optionally
> specify for his "dialog about smtp" belongs in dialog.dll
> rather than smtp.dll.
> It will be easier for the user to select an icon
> if all the optional icons for dialog.dll are in one place.

Hmm.  I kind go for putting icons that relate to a subject matter with
the plugin that relates to that service.  If I was looking for an icon
about mail, seems to me a sensible place to look for it is in pop3.dll
or smtp.dll.
 
> 
> Anyway, where to store them is your decision.
> I'll just paint whatever specific icons you, or users, ask for.

Many thanks.
 






------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/JV_rlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Attention: PowerPro's Web site has moved: http://www.ppro.org 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to