> 
> That's probably windows doing caching.
>

I had the same follow-up, but it does not really make sense as a 
difference between 4.7 and 4.7.03, assuming he is running exactly 
the same scripts.

There would have been more  calls to file i/o in 4.7 then in 4.7.03, 
since 4.7 reads the files one character (!) at a time, whereas 
4.7.03 reads the whole file at once.  Of course, a small script file 
is almost certainly going to be cached by Windows in memory in both 
cases, so there is not really more true i/o, just more calls to the 
file routines.  But I don't see a reason why 4.7.03 should result in 
significantly _more_ i/o to run a whole script.

I guessed it was the pre-scanning for labels, but that is ruled out 
if he gets much faster results by restarting PowerPro, since the pre-
scanning is done in this case too.

Still, its worth testing the file i/o but waiting before restarting 
PowerPro, but it would be a head-scratcher if that makes a 
difference.



Reply via email to