Sorry for a slightly off-topic post.

I'm currently investigating cpudyn[0], a nice simple userspace governor that is fairly high in my powertop[1] interrupt source.

Code structure is fairly simple:
while(true) {
  Read("/proc/stat");
  ComputeLoad();
  UpdateGovernor();
  usleep(delay);
}
with delay being configurable, 100ms being the default.

Beside discussing whether 100ms is the appropriate delay, I'm wondering whether there would be a nicer way to get periodic CPU time without forcing a wake-up. Something like "call me every now and then, not faster than x but not slower than y, at kernel's convenience". It's the same basic idea than the 2.6.21 patch available at [2], but in userland. Suggestions ?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc Ranger

[0] http://mnm.uib.es/gallir/cpudyn/
[1] http://linuxpowertop.org/