Yep, I'd say go for the 3400 if you can afford it. If you do go for the
1400, I'd suggest the 1400/133c at a minimum. You're right to go for the
active matrix display; but the 117 is just way too slow. Your 7100 /8100
is faster (SCSI drive, L2 cache). I have a 1400/117 sitting here now and
it's just too frustratingly slow (even my old 5300/100 was slightly
faster because it had less demanding graphics requirements).

The 3400s, at the right price, are the bargains of the piece right now.
For a 1400 v. 3400 comparison, see here:

<http://macpowerbook.com/pb1400v3400.html>

Cheers,

RD

>Heather,
>  Yes, I was going to say that I considered both those others before
>choosing a 3400. The speed, display, & RAM capacity, as I recall, made up my
>mind for me. The 3400 is a great powerbook, if you can locate one in your
>price range, which you may well be able to do with PB prices coming down.
>
>Beverly
>

>> Overstock.com had some 3400/200s on sale for $299.
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> OK, in a couple of months I am going to get another PowerBook (will be my
>>> 4th). Financially speaking, it's going to be between a 5300c or a 1400c.

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor, Insanely-Great Mac <http://www.insanely-great.com>
mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>