>Thomas G. Tamura wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just picked up a 1400cs and am a little puzzled as to the speed of this
>> machine when trying to surf the internet.  It has 32MB of RAM and I am using
>> a 28.8K PC Card Modem (Global Village PowerPort Platinum.)  I compared it to
>> my 520c with 20MB of RAM, using the internal 19.2K modem and the 520c
>> "seems" faster.  I used Netscape 2.02 to compare both computers (and later a
>> later version of Netscape and IE on the 1400cs, but of course it's much
>> slower.)  Any ideas?
>

>With netscape 2.2 you're almost certainly using a 68K version, whihc
>means it runs in emulation on the 1400.
>
>Try running iCab on the two machines...you'll be pleasantly surprised,
>I'll bet.

Or Netscape 4.0.8.  I know the 68K version is available at the Netscape
site, I don't know if the PPC version is though.  You can also use v4.7 on
a PPC machine.

>The OS version on the two machines is also important, especially
>vis-a-vis PPC compatibility, PPC native code, and the amount of memory
>each takes up with the system.

Using OS 8.6 can make a big difference on the 1400.  It is largely PPC
coded.  OS 8.1 had more PPC code than earlier versions but not as much as
8.6.  This makes a big difference, especially on the earlier PPC machines
(which aren't all that fast to begin with).

>> Would using a 56K modem (either serial or PC card, although I am leaning
>> more to the external serial, as I can use that with the 520c) increase the
>> speed considerably or would the 1400 have problems keeping up anyway?  Or a
>> better question, would a G3 Wallstreet (or any other G3 PB,) be much faster
>> than the 1400 with a 56K modem?
>

>yes, and yes.
>
>Faster computers = faster network experience, to a point. Definitely
>moving up to a 56k modem will improve matters as well, probably more
>than the faster computer.

I don't know if you can configure the PC Card modem for speeds faster than
57.6 Kbps so you may not get much compression with a 56K modem but it will
still be faster than a 28.8.

As to the question of modem speed vs processor speed, when talking about
web page rendering it's a toss up.  Some pages are very processor intensive
and some aren't.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA