I finally got the software to install. I had to turn all extensions off. I
have a PCMCIA card holder for a Compact Flash card (with a 64MB Compact
Flash card in it) inserted in to the top slot. I can see the card fine on
the desktop. It shows up as a Toshiba PC drive.  I can open its window. I
want to use it as Virtual Memory. I can't see it in the VM control panel as
a choice. My guess is I need to format it as a Mac disk for the Mac to show
it to me in the Memory Control Panel.

I have some notes here from
<http://www.pbsource.com/contributions/readers/SiliconTech_FlashRAM.shtml>
(see extract below) that indicate I should use Drive Setup to reformat it
because Erase Disk will not put a Mac driver on it. . I only have a floppy
drive, no CD on this one. I'm running 7.5.5 which was installed via CD (I
think) several years ago by someone else for me when I had the PPC upgrade
card put in. I know I have system 7.5 on diskette. Can I use the drive setup
from there, or would it be to old? I also have the backup disks from my
PB190. Since I don't have that 190 now, I don't remember what system it came
with, but I'm pretty sure it was some version of system 7 greater than 7.5.
Can I use the drive setup from there? I have 9.0.1 on my iMac. It has Drive
Setup. I could put this on the Compact Flash Card (I have a reader for the
iMac). It's small enough to fit. Then I could put it on the Desktop on the
PB520 from the Compact Flash Card via the PCMCIA card holder. Would this
version be too new to use with the system 7.5.5. that is on the PB520?

NOTES:" If you must absolutely have the card in Mac format, you can't just
use the "Erase Disk" command from the Special menu. The Mac sees the card as
just another HD. Therefore, it needs to be formatted using the "Drive Setup"
software that comes with the MacOS. The reason for this is that the driver
has to be switched from PC to Mac, something that the "Erase Disk" command
does not do. It's not difficult to do. Actually, I was very surprised that
the Mac was able to put its own Apple driver on it, as I've had physical
plate-based hard drives that couldn't be initialized with the Mac drivers.
But in this case, everything worked fine. To use a Mac-initialized card on a
PC, just re-format for PC using the "Drive Setup" application.
To unmount the card with the computer on, you must drag it to the trash or
"Put Away". You can't simply pop it out, just like you can't physically
remove a drive without first unmounting it. You also can't remove it while
in sleep, since it'll look for it when it wakes up. Removing it incorrectly
may destroy all the data on it, as I personally found out. You may remove it
(and any other drive you desire) when the computer is turned off, of
course".
Donna Pointer-- iMac, ergo iAm