> I forgot the best one! NIH Image is an incredible tool, rivaling
> Photoshop, and is completely free.

Unless the online documentation is outdated, NIH Image does not support more
recent compressions such as .jpg or .gif, in which case, one would probably
need GraphicConverter to utilize these now common formats rather than the
beautiful but space-intensive .tiff. Otherwise, it looks pretty amazing for
freeware. Unless you are a professional in computer graphics and design,
GraphicConverter, however, may be the only app you need. With about half the
images I download from the web, I have to increase the sharpness, clean up
the white values and/or gamma. GC does all of this effortlessly.

There is a freeware program called Goldberg at VersionTracker that can do
basic QuickTime effects. It can crop but not scale an image, and the colors
and brightness look different on my screen than in GraphicConverter or other
graphic programs. Sometimes I use Goldberg to save an image I have
manipulated in GraphicConverter, since GC bloats the resource fork, or I
save as a web image in GC, which strips off the resource fork completely.

For organizing your image collection (I just discovered a nifty site in
Hungary with lots of high quality illuminated medieval manuscripts for
computer viewing, for instance), there are two programs I would suggest:
(1) PICTCompare, freeware from VersionTracker, weeds out duplicates, even of
different sizes and qualities, though not if you cropped the image
significantly. It can handle something like 20,000 files at a time, even in
a folder with subfolders. You can then choose which image you wish to keep
‹- you can open the file in PictureViewer directly from PICTCompare -- and
send the other to the trash. (2) iView MediaPro, shareware from
VersionTracker, that, among other things, produces a thumbnail catalogue of
a particular folder (you can set background color, thumb size, etc.), which
you can also use as a slide show with custom features. You can also rename a
file directly in iView, which is quite handy for internet stuff with
meaningless file names.