Hi listers!

Thanks for listening to my 5300 troubles.   Also for advice and stories from
listers who got their powerbooks repaired through REA.

I bought both my powerbooks second hand, they do have the suspicious serial
numbers  according to the TIL and no indication they have been through the
REA before.

Called Tokyo Apple Headquarters, English customer service for the second time
yesterday. The first time the rep didn't know about REA.

She called me back after looking up the TIL article and told me Apple Japan
was a slightly different company and sent me to an authorized service repair
center.

The repair center told me my PB serial number doesn't qualify  for free
repair but they could replace the splitting screen casing for 25000 yen (US
200)

This time I told them I had done more research and gotten info from Mac
listers who had the REA repairs done in their countries.

Faxed them Apple TIL article ID #30427 and relevant pages from the Powerbook
5300/190 REA service manual which specifically states which powerbooks
qualify & what repairs should be done.

It worked!  They will be sending a pickup service with boxes to take my  two
5300's to be repaired at Apple headquarters NOT the authorized service
providers.

Thanks for the encouragement and hope this info will help other listers to be
more persistent with Apple in their countries.

Regards,
Zita