The battery should charge while in the PB, with the PB running or not.  The
icon is the charge indicator.  It should be solid when the battery is
completely charged.  If the battery shows charged, but doesn't work with the
adapter removed, it is one of two things: 1. Bad battery, a very common
problem.  The batteries don't last for more than a few years before they
refuse to hold a charge anymore.  2. The charging system in the PB is bad.
It happens, but I'd bet on the bad battery.

David Allen