On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Rick King wrote:

> Ok...I know now that I have the PowerBook from the bowels of hell itself.  This 180
>is about to go through a wall.  I took this #@%$#$%#$% thing home last
>night....cracked it open...reseated the memory, daughter card and the connection to
>the interconnect board.  I put the miserable thing back together and nothing.  I drug
>out my old 140 just to be sure it was not the power supply....and of course the 140
>lights right up.  Then I figure to give the 180 one last chance before I open the
>back door and throw it as hard as I can.  I hit the power button and nothing....I am
>about to hurl the miserable object when I hear it begin to start up...great...it
>works...  I bring it to work today, plug it in and it refuses to start.  I have reset
>the power manager 4 more times and still nothing.  What, besides being pure evil, is
>most likely wrong with this thing??
> God Bless,
> Rick

Possible that perhaps the little ribbon cable between the motherboard and
the interconnect board is shot - it carries everything the top half of the
machine needs - speaker signal, LCD signal, LCD power... Examine it
closely to ensure there are no broken wires (a few damaged ground wire is
all it takes to kill everything on that board) - if there are, post a
request to LEM-Swap to try and get one. I got one for my PB180 for about
$20. I don't think a dead PRAM would stop it from even chiming, because my
PB180 still has a dead PRAM but it works except that it always forgets my
settings. However, you can try getting a multitester and checking the PRAM
battery, but I'm not sure what it should be putting out, I'd assume 3 or 6
volts. Obviously if it puts out nothing it's dead. ;-)

You mentioned it booted once. Did the system actually *boot* to a Finder,
or did you just get it to chime and the screen to come on?

--
Flint Million
Mailing from PowerBook address ([EMAIL PROTECTED])