In a message dated 9/1/01 3:59:04 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
That gave me an idea - I ran Wish I Were and set it as a stock 540c.  BU500
worked without a hitch.  Then, afterwards, I disabled Wish I Were and all is
well again.  ;-)

This technique can be used to install 8.5.1, say, on a Q950 which has been
equipped with a PowerPC Upgrade Card, or on a PB540c which has been similarly
equipped.

Apparently, some applications are checking the "mach" number at the very
beginning, but these applications are not actually dependent upon the
presence or absence of specific features.

It had not occurred to me to set the "mach" number to the machine's previous
incarnation.

Good catch!