>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:54:27 -0800
>From: Geoffrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Sonnets Reply to 1400

[snip for relevancy]

>From: support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Geoffrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[snip for relevancy]

Sonnet said to Geoffrey:

>About the only other thing we've noticed is that lots of PB1400s still use
>RAM Doubler and Speed Doubler with their machines and those apps should be
>de-installed and re-installed with the G3 in place. They tend to throw a fit
>if you switch processors on them after they've been installed. Personally, I
>recommend pitching them since they're no longer supported by Connectix.

Does this person from Sonnet even realize that we are talking about
Classic Macs here and not state of the art G4 Macs??!  Sorry about my
late reply to this thread, I am just winding through archived "to be
read" email at present, but I simply could NOT let this go without a
response to both the list and to Sonnet themselves.

Telling a user to "pitch" both Ram and Speed Doubler because those
particular older versions used on a 1400 are no longer supported by
Connectix is really a bunch of crap and very bad advice to boot.  Older
non-supported versions of Apple's own System Software along with older
versions of virtually everything we use on these machines is
non-supported due to age.  Does that mean it doesn't do its job?  Does
that mean that it's no good?  Of course not.

I hope the listers totally ignored such flawed and biased advice given by
Sonnet.  Upgrade or no upgrade involved, there is tons of life left in
older software that can be recycled and used on classic Macs to great
success.

--bj
bjbear71.com