I would say DELL.  A good old Latitude or Inspirion...(or is that Inspiron?)  DELL
made some pretty nice laptops...Compaq does pretty much suck....I would avoid that
one.  If you do get a laptop...put either Windoze 95B or 98SE on it.  ME really bites
and 2000 would overload an older pentium and eat memory.  A pentium 233 or 266 or
better with 64 megs or more of memory should do the trick.  Sorry for talking of
things from the DARK SIDE... but here is another thought.  Put Linux on it.  There IS
linux software for HAM.  I am 99 percent sure of that.  Of course there is that 1
percent floating around out there so don't shoot me if you can't find it :P
God Bless,
Rick