In a message dated 9/25/01 09:34:19 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>On the subject of PB 5300 and NiMH Batteries, I am now the proud owner
>of a
>PB 5300c (100MHz/64MB RAM/750MB hard disk running MacOS 8.6) that is
>experiencing serious battery trouble. The PB 5300c has gone through Apple's
>REA program (AA's after serial number on sticker). The battery will not
recharge.

>If I attempt to run Apple's "Battery Recondition" V1.5, my computer crashes!
>I reformatted the HD, and re-installed MacOS 8.6. Same problems - battery
>won't charge, and computer crashes if I run Battery Recondition. I have
>not seen that, before.
>I have both tried to re-set the PRAM, and tried re-setting the power manager
>per Apple's proceedure. Still, same problems.

Bob,

I have a similiar setup, PB 5300ce, OS 8.6 and seriously been though the REA
program. And Battery Reconditioner v 1.5 acts weird for me, too, but I
usually get it to do the job. When is it crashing on you.

I'm going to guess that the PRAM battery is bad. What I think the Bat Recon
does is not allow the ac adapter to run the PB and when the battery is
discharged, it needs to run on the PRAM battery until it allows the ac
adapter to kick in again.

How's the date if you remove the main battery and unplug the ac adapter for
say...   10 minutes?

I have 4 batteries and recondition them about every month or so. I use the
5300 for bad environments and back up for my Pismo. So the batteries sit more
than they are used and they get short memories that way.

It usually causes me some grief after it discharges the battery and I come up
with a poorly drawn desktop with several things missing until I restart. I
usually have to "reset" the Finder (delete Finder pref, AM Options prefs, &
ASLM prefs). It usually does not crash, but sometimes it does.

You might also try to reset the Pwr Mgr several times.

Brent