If all your friend wants to do is word processing, e-mail and occasional web
access, I would recommend the 540c.  Not being a first-hand user of one (or
even ever seeing one in real life), I can't vouch that it's the ideal laptop.
 But from what I've heard on this list, it appears to be a real value for the
money ($200-350?)  and reliable.

Anybody wishing to correct or support me on this, feel free...

Whatever your friend gets, strive for a 'c' model (540c, 1400c, 3400c etc) -
it stands for 'active-matrix color screen'.  The best PowerBook screen out
there and usually a mid- to upper-class version of that model.

As a 3400c user and having seen a (dead) 1400c, I would personally recommend
the 1400c if you had a choice only between those.  (But not the 1400cs - it's
also a 'road apple').  The 1400c is much smaller heightwise and a bit
lighter.  The 11.4" (I think) screen is good for the things your friend needs
to do (although if you need a bigger screen, the 12.1" on the 3400c is
sweeeet...).

To "almost-guarantee" the computer from being stolen is to personalize it
such that nobody else would -want- to steal it - neon green and pink
splatters, duct tape bits and strips everywhere, you get the idea...
Etching also works but I'm not sure if it would damage computer parts inside
since everything's packed so close together.
;-)

Matthew

"Its is the personal possessive.  It's means IT IS."

In a message dated 10/2/01 8:41:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  From: "Judith Broadhurst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  Subject: Advice for Peace Corps volunteer re: used Powerbook, please
>  Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:38:31 -0700
>
>  1) Which Powerbook available used for less than $500 would be good for
>  e-mail, word processing and -- if possible -- occasional Web access from
>  Third World country. She'll be lucky to have electricity and a connection,
>  certainly not counting on tech support nor repair service, so it must be
>  RELIABLE.
>
>  2) Because I'm a PC user, I'm relying only on research. From what I can
>  tell, the Powerbooks came out in this order: 5300, 1400, 3400, G3, G4.
>  Correct?

P.S.:
For the order of Powerbooks straight from the 100 to the current G4, see
Everymac.com or apple-history.com .