Eugène van Herpen on 10/3/01 1:44 PM wrote:

>> Anyone have or know where I can get an inexpensive PowerCD?  You know,  the
>> ancient yet cool black Apple single speed CD-ROM.
>>

> They were neither black nor single speed.
> You will have to do more homework, I'm afraid
>
> Eugène, proud owner of two complete - in the box - systems

I had one that I retired many years ago. I packed it back up in the original
box with all the original packing, software, manuals and inserts. In late
1999 I was cruising eBay and saw how much they were going for. Typically
$100-150 at the time. None in boxes.

I figured I would dig mine out of the attic, blow the dust off and see what
I could sell it for.

The winning bid...$475! I was a bit stunned too.

I got emails from Japan and Hong Kong begging me to consider shipping it
there (auction stated USA only). The new owner was thrilled with it...but
probably not as thrilled as I was to get $475 out of it, especially since I
had paid less than half that years before.

BTW, it's a charcoal grey (same as the PowerBook 100 series of the day) and
2 speed. You could connect it to your stereo and play CDs, or to your TV and
play Kodak Photo CDs. All via a very cool remote control. Oh yeah, you could
also connect it to your Mac via SCSI. It had one 50 pin connector on the
removable base but you couldn't operate it at all if it was removed from the
base...kinda dumb.

Oddly, it was a dud when Apple brought it out. Perhaps it was priced too
high.

-makmac