In a message dated 10/3/01 11:56:44 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
I fear my drive has gone to the great dead disk dump in the sky...:-(

The 2.5" SCSI drives, such as those used in the PB500 series, have an
annoying habit if getting "stuck".

No, I'm not talking about the dreaded "stiction" problem, which plagued the
early 3.5" drives. This is more like an interface interlock, not a mechanical
problem.

One cure is to always have a floppy with a minimal system on it ... just the
system file and the finder should be adequate.

Whenever this symptom appears, try booting from the floppy. This will nearly
100 percent of the time unstick the SCSI interface and thereafter allow the
PB500 to boot from it's hard drive.

Note that you really needn't have the "right" system for your PB on this
floppy. All that is required is that the disk has been initialized and it has
some kind of system, even one that will give you a "This system is not
designed for this Macintosh" message.