>Thanks a lot to NN whose name I dont remember but who has three cats and

Socrates, Shadow, and Casey.

>whose 'Frankenbook' 1400 has an interesting page!!!:
>
>http://members.home.net/gionpeters/PB1400
>
>The pages describes a fix for the TEAC 1400 CD drives, found by daringly
>trying his way. I have some CDs that my drive (8x) has accepted well, some
>that it has never accepted and then some that would only work after
>inserting several times. The latter have been the most anoying figthing
>with, on the other hand, the given-up ones are a serious problem. There
>have even been music CDs that the drive has given up playing, for instance
>my new Led Zeppelin collection. Serious!

Thank you, thank you.  I realized a while back that this problem was
so common, it couldnt be a flaw in every model.  I guessed that the
knob was the tune for the laser head, and it seems to be a correct
guess.

Out of 3 drives I have had that posesed this problem , I got all
three working.  It takes from 1-2 hours, and patience is required.
You have to tweak in small motions.

>I have now done NN's fix, and the drive works like a dream. Again, thanks!
>
>However, I think the text on the webpage could be modified - whereas the
>pictures are exelent.

I really ought to spend more time typing up the text to make it more clear.

>- I don't think it is necessary to take of the metal cover and plastic
>buttom from the drive's box (step one), or remove the connector at the back
>(I never did that)
>- Simply take the drive out and open it. Turn it upside-down and remove the
>small metal cover: no screws, use a minimum flat screwdriver to flip it up
>at the four places it is bent round to lock on to the drive
>(I mistakenly took off two screws in the rail on the one side and the
>palsitc door with the result that the two parts of the rail were in the
>wrong position with eachother when I assebled the drive and it could not
>close).
>
>(3/4 of a turn counter-clockwise was also the right for me)

The easiest way is to put the powerbook on a table, and you sit on
the floor, looking up at the powerbook. Take the metal cover off, and
then put the drive back in.  Sit so that when the tray is ejected,
you can look up, and be able to tune the knob without having to tak
the whole CD ROM out.  This way, you can also listen to the drive
when you have a CD in.  The sounds will tell you if its going to work
or not.

Also, if you put a disk in, the the drive light flashes 14 times....
its out of tune.

>All the best,
>
>Christopher
>Tølløse, Denmark