Cliff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:47:10 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/2001 12:24:44 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

>>5300 64meg Speed Doubler
>>
>>When I returned the 5300 was asleep and would not awaken. Nothing
>>worked. So I unplugged the power supply and pulled the battery out. Let
>>it sit, reconnected. The power button would not work but I got the
>>start up sound and a brief wavey line screen, then black and now
>>Nothing. No start up. Just a slight clicking noise when I activate the
>>reset switch.
>>
>>What to do?

Cliff,

I occasionally get the two symptoms you have and here is the
__voo-doo__ that
I go thru to clear the "no awakening/no start" on the 5300. I do not
understand why this works and that is why I'm calling it voo-doo. This
is
from empirical observations and testing.

Symptom 1

-Unplug the AC and the battery.
-No need for a wait. Plug in the AC _only_ you should either hear a
small
noise and or the sleep led should come on constant with no flashing.
-If in 60 seconds the start process does not begin, press the Reset
button
briefly.
-If in 60 seconds the start process does not begin, press the Power
button
briefly.

At this point I ususally have a 5300 that has started the boot process.
***Ususally it is very slow like a human awakening from a stupor, and
gathering its wits. I _assume_ it is rebuilding a directory and/or the
desktop, or maybe loading something from the PRAM.

I usually then run diagnostics to clear the original problem, but I
have
noticed that if it is interrupted in sleep or shut down, this problem
will
occur, or if the power was removed suddenly while it was running or all
power
was removed including the PRAM battery.

Symptom 2

This one I partially understand.

Whenever I get a message that says "The Finder has unexpectedly quit."
I have
found that a restart or shutdown and start will not clear and reset the
Finder, and the Finder stays unstable.I have observed that at this
point the
AM Option prefs are bloated (larger that the normal 4k) and the AM does
not
work correctly.

A friend told me the following and it works for me.

-Get to the point that you can open the Preference folder.
-Put the following prefs in the trash:
    Apple Menu Options Prefs, ASLM Preferences & Finder Preferences.
-Restart.
-Empty trash after the restart.

Neither of us know what the ASLM does, only that it needs to be
included in
this process or it does not work. If anyone can tell me what ASLM does,
please do.

I think the reason for my occasional Finder quits is a conflict with MS
Word
and/or AOHell, and maybe CopyPaste.

I have made a script using (Apple)Script Editor to reset the Finder and
leave
it on the Desktop so that it is easily reached when I have a "Finder
quit".
Sometimes you can not navigate far at that point,and this way I only
need to
do one restart.