thanks everyone for your suggestions. The problem is fixed for now -
it seems like (klutz me, good thinking Magnus!) the problem this time
was the power adapter, which had been half pulled out from the
powerboard under my desk.

But I suspect there's more than one thing happening here, because I'm
sure that wasn't it the other times I've had this trouble. I think it
may have something to do with the instruction set behind the system
folder in ROM (is that the 'firmware'?). Last time I had this sort of
trouble, it went through a funny process where at first it wouldn't
read the system off a floppy, then about 12 hours later it would boot
off the floppy but not the hard drive, then after leaving it
overnight it started off the HD straight off.

I'd be interested if anyone knows about this stuff, because I suppose
it'll happen again. I've also had similar trouble with a PB 100 that
I tried to get going for a friend, except in that case I could never
get it going after repeated tries with different systems on floppies.
I've read somewhere that the basic operating info in ROM can be
corrupted by crashing at low power, especially on the 100. I've also
had word processing files corrupted beyond repair from trying to
squeeze the last bit of juice out of my batteries on a planeŠ

So thanks again everyone, especially Magnus! I'm pleased to hear I'm
not alone with this, and wonder if anyone is able to shed more light
into this twilight zone on the other side of startupŠ

--
John