In a message dated 10/8/01 12:29:55 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

 Howver, the problem is, I can't choose Alternative
>Ethernet. The PBs consider for some time and then come up with a message
>meaning that there is something wrong with the connection and that it
>switches back to modem-/printer port. My hub lights up nicely when I plug
>the cable in, and I have tried with different cables.

Christopher,

Please excuse my thinking out load, but it will help you see my logic (or is
it madness?) and see if I am making any bad assumptions.

I powered up the 5300 again, and even without the GV card in, AppleTalk had
the option to connect thru Alternate Ethernet.

For some reason your's is not seeing seeing the card. Since it is two
different models of PB that are not seeing it, it is unlikely that both the
PC card cages are bad. It could be the PC card may be faulty on the ethernet
side. I would think the whole card would fail, not just part of it, I can use
mine for both modem and ethernet at the same time. But???

You have tried both the upper and lower slots on both machines?

More likely that it is  s/w  related.

You said previously,
> I have downloaded a driver called 'GV PP PC Card for ARA 2.0'

I have both the 56k card and the PP 28.8 card flash upgraded to 33.6 for my
PB5300. In my Extensions folder I have

GV 28.8-56k /V.90 Card for ARA 2.0, version 1.0.4, from PC Card for Mac 3.0.6
update, and

GV 28.8-56k  Card for ARA 2.0, version 1.0.4, from PC Card for Mac 3.0.2.

Note the V.90 difference, and where they came from. There is a warning on the
site not to use the upgrade 3.0.6 on the wrong PC card and that it may ruin
it, but I had the 56k card first and had installed 3.0.6 prior. You maybe
able to use the 3.0.6 to upgrade, __IF__ you leave the card out. DO so at
your own risk! There is no repair if the flash upgrade damages it. The old
fix was to send it into GV for replacement. GV is long gone, sadly.

I would think that a better first plan is to remove 3.0.2, do a fresh
download of it and do a fresh install with only Base OS Extensions on and any
anti-virus s/w off.

BTW your English is much better than my Scandinavian. The extent of my
knowledge is "Uff da!" Pretty bad considering that I used to work for a
Norweign.

HTH, and keep us informed as to your progress.

Brent