>RD> PCMCIA MPEG-2 decoder card (MCE have it and there used to be a WS kit).
>
>Ok, here's a poser - does the encoder card take up enough slack to
>allow other PB's to play DVD's as well?  I can see a 170mhz (?) PPC
>upgraded 540C having enough oomph if nothing else is running.
>The PCI ones for schm-Intel boxes say they'll run on a 133mhz so I
>think Mac might do better.  Or am I an idiot in need of a village. ;-)
>
>RD> And I don't know what hardware SCSI drives look for.
>RD> Cheaqper in the end to simply get a DVD iBook.
>
>Probably true but some of us like to challenge ourselves. *grin*
>(Or is that frustrate ourselves?)
Good points, Mike. Though what would worry me is the limitations built in
to the 3400/Kanga graphics card. Generally, it can do 15fps tops.
However, the 2MB/12.1" Wallstreet I can run the DVD kit, so this may not
prove a problem.

If you wanted a challenge, it would be to get the PC card cage upgraded
to take FW. Then I'd slam a DVD drive into a 5.25" FW enclosure and try
that.

Unsure whether MCE will sell their $99 PCMCIA decoder card separately
from the DVD/CDRW drive - can't think why not, unless there's some
licensing restriction (e.g., that VST had). Then again, Apple, AFAIK,
don't own a chunk of MCE.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison