>The clock in the "date & time" control panel doesn't show the correct date
>and time. It is impossible to set the date and time: when the time has been
>set it just picks a random date & time.
>I've tried resetting PRAM, resetting the Power Manager, changed PRAM battery
>and reinstalled System 7.5.5 in that order. Nothing helped.
>Magnus

This sounds so much like a dead PRAM battery that I would consider looking
there again: test the battery separately, and check the contacts to make sure
it's seated properly. If everything else seems fine, the chances of it being
in the Mac OS ROM are very slim (corruption there would likely affect more than
just the clock, and only the clock), but you addressed that anyway, which is
good, thorough troubleshooting.

The symptoms point to the battery, although that should affect ALL settings
associated with your PRAM. Just for fun, you could try installing Superclock,
still available at many classic mac sites, to see if IT works properly. If it
does, than your hardware is fine, and all the calls work, and it then has to be
a software bug or conflict.

Let us know how you make out : )