To tell you the truth I am all set to ditch desktops for a secondhand
Wallstreet or PDQ...my iMac was brand new when I bought it and its only
lasted four years!

------
Ditching the desktop is the best thing I've ever done.  While I am much more
of a PC user these days (I still keep a PB170 in the car, and gave my old
7200 to my daughter), I use my laptop almost exclusively.  I bought my first
laptop in 1993 (PowerBook 145B) and used it as my only computer until 1996,
when I bought the 7200.  Even when I had the 7200, with a then-impressive 17
inch monitor, I still found that I spent more time using the PowerBook, so I
upgraded (also in 1996) to a PowerBook 5300c.

Despite having only a 10 inch screen, the 5300c made a delightful primary
computer, with the desktop mainly used for file storage and to play games
(if only I'd used the desktop money to buy a 5300ce instead of a c).
Finally in 1998 I moved to the Windows world, but I still favored laptops,
moving from the 10 inch screen of the 5300c to a 12 incher.

My current computers are a 450MHz desktop PC with a built-in CDRW drive, and
a thin and light laptop with an 11 inch screen, and 3lb weight.  Even when
at home, sitting in the computer room, I still use the laptop, the desktop
only serving as a place to back up files and to burn CDs.  The 11 inch
screen is perfectly adequate for web browsing and writing (what I do most),
and I am so used to the laptop keyboard that I make typos on the desktop
now.   The convenience of always using the same computer, with the same
files in the same place, far outweighs any benefit I would get from using
the desktop while at home.

My only concession to ergonomic improvement is that I plug in an external
USB mouse at home.  The eraserpoint mouse is fine on the road, but a
trackball would be  better (I don't like touchpads, but that's a subjective
thing).

The point is, moving to a laptop will take a few weeks to adjust to the
smaller screen and KB, but once you are used to it, you will likely never
look back.  When I shop for a new computer, I don't even think about
desktops, and likely never will.  They are simply too confining.

Andrew

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.