At 01:52 PM 3/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
><snip>
>A)will the PB light up on powerup, just from the current coming in from
>the wall or the fully charged big battery? will the dead PRAM be
>bypassed, despite its discharge and the current reach the insides and
>give it startup power?

It should work relatively fine, though you'll lose various settings. If the
PRAM battery is damaged and not just dead it might cause other problems,
but I've run a 230 without a PRAM battery at all just fine for awhile now.

>B) can the discharged PRAM battery recharge itself from current coming
>in via the cord or big battery, say, if left overnight 24 hours?
>48 hours?

If it will hold a charge, leaving it plugged in overnight or two should help.

>C) can it recharge itself at all? with weak reserve? with zero reserve?
>if it can recharge itself from either source, how long should that take
>it, if left undisturbed to do so?

It can recharge itself from the A/C, not sure about the big battery. If it
will hold a charge, or course.

>D)if i don't know which source the power manager is set to pull current
>from, will  a PRAM battery pull less recharge from a big battery, than
>from the wall cord, overnight?

Not sure if the PRAM can recharge from the main battery or not. I'd just
leave it plugged in.

>If leaving it set on one of the power manager settings overnight to
>recharge  doesn't have an effect, shouldn't I set the power manager to
>the other setting and leave it to recharge from the other source for one
>more night?

Not sure what you mean by power manager settings. Which other setting are
you talking about? Just leave the PB turned off completely and plugged in.

>E) if the chime is embedded in the ROM but my speaker is shot, I
>wouldn't hear it, right? how about if my speaker is good but the
>internal volume was set all the way down? without PRAM, wouldn't that
>volume setting revert to some generic setting, probably audible, once
>current reached the circuitry?

If the speaker is shot, you wouldn't hear it. Likewise yes, if the volume
is all the way down you wouldn't hear it. And yes, it would probably reset
if the PRAm battery is bad. Hmm..

>F) would it do any damage to attach a blank hard drive that I'm going to
>install in this thing anyway[, if i can ever get it to power on and
>start up], if I did so for no other reason than to be able to hear the
>drive spin up, to hear if power is reaching the circuitry?  if the
>startup chime isn't audible and the screen doesn't light?

I don't really see how it could hurt the hard drive unless there's
something terribly wrong with the circuitry that fries it.

>I figure this is a lot like finding a boombox and figuring out whether
>the bateries are shot, the cord is shot, or there's something else wrong
>with it inside.

Good luck :)

>janet

Scott Holder