Jeffrey -
I'm sending this via my own MV16-EN.  As you described it, the problem is
most likely a physical disconnect or more serious hardware failure.  The
first thing you need to try is reseating the card.  Did you install it
yourself?  I can send you the PDF guide I used for mine - it's very helpful.
Some owners of aging PowerBooks reportedly get inside and insert foam
spacers between the various problematic parts, such as flaky RAM cards that
fade in and out.  You might be able to wrap a small clipping of foam
packaging material around the Focus card to hold it in place, being careful
not to obstruct ventilation too much.

> I also noticed that next to the main dongle port there is a small round
> hole--looks almost like there should be a screw in there, or is it supposed to
> look like that?

Mine has a screw in the hold.  Your screw must have fallen out, which could
definitely cause things to dislodge.
- Josh

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.