My 3400/180 has had this problem for close to a year.  Other than the startup
anomaly, it's been performing well.

When I start up (or wake from sleep) while plugged in to AC, the display is
blank white.  Hard drive spins up, makes all the normal sounds, and responds
to shut down key.

To start up (or wake from sleep) with display, I have to unplug the AC and
start from battery power only.  Once the screen shows signs of display, I can
then plug in the AC and it will function normally.

This happens regardless of whether I start from the hard drive or from CD.

The other day I noticed another quirk ... if I use it with only battery power
until the battery wears completely down and shuts down the machine, it will
start up NORMALLY from AC ... I have reproduced this a few times with the
same results.

Things I have tried:
Reset power manager ... both with the reset button and by disconnecting all
power (including PRAM battery).
Replaced PRAM battery.
Tried known-good batteries and AC power supplies, and swapped out power cords.

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.