I don't have any experience with dynamically repartioning, I've always
just either backed up and reinstalled, or thrown another hard drive in.

I haven't tried Gentoo, but I've tried a number of other
distributions.
SuSE:      weird instabilities with a recent X86 distro (2.4 kernel  7.1?)
           on a couple of machines.  I feel a bit burned.
Mandrake:  Freshest big PPC version out.  An older version had a
           misconfigured log-rotate that created a *bunch* of tiny
           files... (I actually ran out of ext2fs inodes!)  The new
           X86 distribution (8.2) is very pretty, and on my home PC
           and a disk server I just built.  X86 at least comes with
           OpenOffice, which is nice.
linuxppc:  I tried installing on a couple of G3 powerbooks (Pismo and
           Lombard?).  Both times the video wasn't yet supported.
           That was a year or so ago the last time.
In my opinion, just about the most trouble-free distro I've used-- for
any architecture-- has been Yellow Dog.  I've put it on one of my
personal work computers, a dedicated dvd-ram writing box, a log server
(a 4400 that's been up nearly a year-- one process shows about a month's
cpu time!) and one of the powerbooks mentioned above.
It's really a sweet distribution.     http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

There was a slashdot thread when Mandrake's PPC version came out a
few days ago: http://slashdot.org/apple/02/04/23/1532254.shtml

To boot from a cd, press the 'c' key while booting.

--
Dana Rottach
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.